Thursday, February 23, 2012

#2: Rotini Pasta with Chicken, Pesto, & Sun-dried Tomatoes

Probably one of the first things you should know about me is that i love love LOVE pesto.  I could probably enjoy anything if it had pesto in it.  My mom introduced it to me in 8th grade and I've been in love with its basil-y goodness ever since.

This isn't from a recipe--just something I thought would taste good.  Because obviously, it had pesto in it.

Also, sidenote: My roommate, Rebecca, has the most AWESOME THING EVER for someone trying to eat healthy. She has an ounce scale!! So you can weigh portions...obsessed with that thing.

Here are the ingredients:


  • 2oz whole grain Barilla rotini pasta
  • 1 tbsp pesto with basil [I used Kirkland brand--my pops bought me a huge jar from Costco ;), but any brand would work--pesto is pesto...always amazing]
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes [got mine from trader's]
  • 1 chicken breast tender from Trader Joe's Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast package
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • a couple pinches of salt&pepper!

Easy peasy, right?! First, bring water to boil and cook the pasta. It took a while for the pasta to be ready for me because I like noodles soft.  Defrost the chicken in a bowl of water, pat down with paper towel, cut into pieces the size of your choosing, and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.  Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan, add chicken and heat until cooked.  


Drain noodles and add noodles, pesto, 1 tsp olive oil, and sun-dried tomatoes to the chicken.  

couldn't resist making the pictures "x-large" because they look so darn good!

Mix then add a pinch of salt and you're good to go!


It turned out to be about 500 calories.  A bit steep for someone trying to be healthy but it could be your splurge meal of the day.  Trust me when I say it was deeeeelish!

Nothing this easy would taste as good without pesto.  I sound like such a pesto nut--because I truly am.


No comments:

Post a Comment